Soldat Plastique 1/32 Plastic Soldier 1/32

Site international de passionnés de petits soldats plastiques à l'échelle 1/32ème. Intenational site for 1/32 plastic soldiers enthusiasts.

AccueilAccueil  PortailPortail  S'enregistrerS'enregistrer  Connexion  

Partagez | 

HONG KONG. Star Toys. Swoppets copies de Timpo.

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Aller en bas 
AuteurMessage
fritz1973

MessageSujet: HONG KONG. Star Toys. Swoppets copies de Timpo.   Mar 30 Aoû 2016, 07:56

I consider Timpo to be one of finest makers of plastic toy soldiers and their idea of multiple colored molded pieces was a great idea. I have many of them in my collection and love the colorful taste given to these figures on top of other things.
But some things have always bothered me.
First and this is the most important aspect is the fragility of the plastic. Because of this weakness many figures tend to break and snap in your hands very easily if you do not handle them with care.
Second is that the multi pieces parts did not create or allow you to do a multi pose or fully articulated pose that you can change a lot more if desired .Most have arms and legs are attached and do not move. The modern army sets have very few firing or shooting poses making them very limited in true battle action scenes and with some odd looking poses.
Knights, Romans and Vikings are the best in my opinion.
Base on the above Timpo negative observations of mine I decided to share a rarely mentioned toy figure line from Hong Kong; Star Toys.

Star Toys Romans-Hong Kong

In early 70’s to early 80’s these swapped Romans were made in Hong Kong by a company called Star Toys with a (white 5 point star symbol). It was the first main copier of Timpo after Transogram from US that produced figures in Hong Kong also. Unlike Transogram, Star Toys was owned by Chinese from Hong Kong.
Star toys went farther than Transogram. They create much more figures and differ from Transogram in many figures, design and variety/quantity. Later other companies in Hong Kong copied Star Toy figures and produced very bad quality copies of some of the figures. These companies cheated by not using as many multi parts like Star Toy Company did.
While they (Star toys) copied from Herald, Britain, Airfix, Plasty and Timpo often with a “mixing=blending” design of all those brands. They came with some better figures than the original figures in many cases in my opinion.
A good example is these Romans that I consider better in scale, body, feel and more importantly amount of swap pieces that you can swap and rotate much more than Timpo, Britains and Transogram.
Also the plastic used is far much better than Timpo fragile plastic used.
I had play with these figures as child. I had a total 24 figures foot poses. I still have 22 of these figures. They have remained almost intact after changing and swap the parts for over a thousand times, even the shield rings remain intact in all. An issue you can hardly keep with original Timpo Romans.

Star Toys Romans my observation and compare details.

So far as I know they came in two main armor chest plate variations. They are legionaries and officer-full brass plate done in gold and silver. The mounted Roman was with officer chest plate.

Skirts were in a six color configuration with six different colors type belts. They had short boots contrary to Timpo sandals .Weapons were same as Timpo just a bit longer and thicker.

The shield interior does not have the rivet detail as Timpo whoever the ring were more bigger in radius and thickness given better play strength.

The outside design in shield was of similar but not identical design. The faces used in shield are different. They used three heads that had different faces. Leg positions come in 4 different types. The leg could be changed too by moving the independent removable legs in few different directions.
Body parts are more muscular and body anatomical more defined than Timpo.

Scale and Helmets

Scale in height still was same or a bit taller (2-3m) than TIMPO perhaps?
Plastic is actually more flexible and you can still bend better. The weapons and even legs/arms without braking at all.
Helmets were two types. Here show only one. Mounted figure’s helmet was a Greek rare type with very long crest. The helmet is removable too as foot pose helmet.
The  figure base was done in green and dark tan. The company did a chariot. I do not have it and I am still looking for it. On the four different mounted figures. I have only one left.
A catapult and Large siege cross bow were also included with the Romans. The Catapult and siege cross bow came in a box window small or long size rectangular size. I have seen a few later 80’s in blister type case, but have never own them.

Star Toys Romans Photo and Descriptions

SEE PICTURES SOON.

Dernière édition par fritz1973 le Mar 30 Aoû 2016, 08:07, édité 1 fois
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
http://selltoyco.com
fritz1973

MessageSujet: Re: HONG KONG. Star Toys. Swoppets copies de Timpo.   Mar 30 Aoû 2016, 08:01

NOTE (STAR TOY-HK) FIGURE IS IN THE LEFT AND TIMPO IN THE RIGHT IN PICTURES BELLOW

PICTURES NUMBERS...

2- the 6 poses variation legs(that could be altered)

3- The skirts and belt variation colors
4-TIMPO shield (left ) versus ST Shield( right )inside. Note strong bigger ring harness in ST but not inside the rivet detail

5-TIMPO shield(right) versus ST (right) Note different face designed

6-TIMPO weapons right versus ST (right) Note the slight difference in size only-ST are a bit bigger than TIMPO
7 and 8 Star Toys (left) and Timpo(right) figures separated parts (note how many multipart has the ST brand)

9- Timpo (top) versus Star Toys(bottom) top torso parts with armor. Note the size in body more bulky and muscular in Star Toys.

10 to 12 Star Toy figure(left) versus Timpo (right).  Note how many variation poses by moving just both arms. I can do that in Star Toys while I can not do that with the Timpo figure.

13-Star Toy Roman officer (left) versus Timpo Signifier (Right) pose I do not know if ST made that pose, never see it but a cavalier /mounted pose carry a Dragon standard.

fritz1973

MessageSujet: Re: HONG KONG. Star Toys. Swoppets copies de Timpo.   Mar 30 Aoû 2016, 08:38

EXAMPLES OF MANY STAR TOY PACK SETS,NOT ROMAN MINT IN PACKS.
NOTE SATR TOY LOGO IN MOST CASES./
THEY ARE OFTEN CONFUNDED WITH (TRANSOGARM) SWOPPED USA BRANDS THAT COPIED TIMPO, BUT THEY(STAR TOYS-HONG KONG)ARE  DIFFERENT OF TRANSOGRAM IN HAVING MORE PARTS AND NOT TRANSOGRAM BRAND NAME IN BASE AND CASES/PACK.
starlux62

MessageSujet: Re: HONG KONG. Star Toys. Swoppets copies de Timpo.   Mar 30 Aoû 2016, 14:05

BEAUTIFUL ROMANS is it actual?
fritz1973

MessageSujet: Re: HONG KONG. Star Toys. Swoppets copies de Timpo.   Mar 30 Aoû 2016, 14:44

Sorry.
What do you mean if actual??
:-)
Duc d'Alençon

MessageSujet: Re: HONG KONG. Star Toys. Swoppets copies de Timpo.   Mar 30 Aoû 2016, 14:52

modern avaliable production I guess.....

excellent article dear fritz about Star Toys soldiers w00t2 thumbbup ..... they are sure hard to find in France, never seen any romans no3
have you heard about the Hong Kong maker ELLEM, onwned by Cherilea ? their soldiers are very, very close to TS soldiers
Duc d'Al.

PS: and by the way, who made the copies of THE Britains swoppet knights ....TS ? Transogram ?
fritz1973

MessageSujet: Re: HONG KONG. Star Toys. Swoppets copies de Timpo.   Mar 30 Aoû 2016, 15:36

No new production.they are not done since early 80s.
Yes I will show difference w Ellem.
I think I post one small article in your HK swopped knights before.

Transigram only did TIMPO copies.
Transogram never did Romans
Transogram is American company w factories in HK .
STAR TOY was individual owned by Chinese.
I will do another work showing difference between all then to see distinction.
Britain swopped were copied and sold under
WELO from HONG kong.but they did not innovate much.Just copied.
Duc d'Alençon

MessageSujet: Re: HONG KONG. Star Toys. Swoppets copies de Timpo.   Mar 30 Aoû 2016, 17:00

brilliant informations about all these asian copies smartass thanks a lot cheers

it must have been difficult indeed for the kids then to keep their roman soldiers complete naughty

king
alain thomas

MessageSujet: Re: HONG KONG. Star Toys. Swoppets copies de Timpo.   Mar 30 Aoû 2016, 19:32

notre forum s'internationalise et notre duc bien franchouillard cause english avec nos invités
on épatera nos convives à soultz en discutant d'un fine french wine !!!
fritz je n'avais jamais vu les romains et en plus tu nous en mets des dizaines jawdrop2 jawdrop2
Breizh44
Admin

MessageSujet: Re: HONG KONG. Star Toys. Swoppets copies de Timpo.   Mar 30 Aoû 2016, 20:01

Thanks for the explanations Fritz cheers
http://soldatplastique-1-32.forumgratuit.org
fritz1973

MessageSujet: Re: HONG KONG. Star Toys. Swoppets copies de Timpo.   Mar 30 Aoû 2016, 20:47

I wish I could write in French, but I do not know and if I use translators program I probably will confuse all you guys.
Duc  is great helping and most you guys know good English.
I appreciate all your generosity and letting share all with you here.
Best regards.
Breizh44
Admin

MessageSujet: Re: HONG KONG. Star Toys. Swoppets copies de Timpo.   Mar 30 Aoû 2016, 21:14

doesn't matter, keep going in english...
http://soldatplastique-1-32.forumgratuit.org
Contenu sponsorisé

MessageSujet: Re: HONG KONG. Star Toys. Swoppets copies de Timpo.   

HONG KONG. Star Toys. Swoppets copies de Timpo.
Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Revenir en haut 
Page 1 sur 1